VATICAN CITY, 2 JUL 2011 (VIS) - The Holy Father:
- Accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of the diocese of Oppido Mamertina-Palmi, Italy, presented by Bishop Luciano Bux, upon having reached the age limit.
- Appointed Bishop Rainer Maria Woelki, auxiliary of Cologne, Germany, as metropolitan archbishop of Berlin (area 31,200, population 5,811,175, Catholics 393,079, priests 402, permanent deacons 30, religious 738), Germany.
- Appointed Cardinal Renato Raffaele Martino, president emeritus of the Pontifical council for Justice and Peace, as his special envoy to celebrations marking the millennium of the abbey of Santissima Trinita di Cava, Italy, due to take place on 4 September.
- Appointed Cardinal Giovanni Battista Re, prefect emeritus of the Congregation for Bishops, as his special envoy to the twenty-fifth Italian National Eucharistic Congress, due to take place in the city of Ancona from 3 to 11 September.
- Appointed Cardinal Jozef Tomko, prefect emeritus of the Congregation for the Evangelisation of Peoples, as his special envoy to the closing celebrations of the Jubilee year marking the 600th anniversary of the "Eucharistic miracle of Ludbreg", due to take place at the shrine of Ludbreg in the diocese of Varazdin, Croatia, on 4 September.
RE:NER:NA/ VIS 20110704 (210)