2012-02-24 Vatican RadioThe Holy See was invited to the meeting of the Friends of Syria, which was scheduled to take place on Friday in Tunis, by the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Tunisia.
The Holy See, participating as an observer, and was being represented by Archbishop Michael Louis Fitzgerald, delegate of the Holy See to the League of Arab States and Apostolic Nuncio to Egypt.
Such participation is intended to express the sympathy and solidarity of the Holy See to all the Syrian people and the Holy See’s interest in the welfare of society and a region in need of peace and stability.
For this purpose the Holy See wishes to point out the principles expressed by the Holy Father's post-Angelus appeal on February 12th:
- The urgent call for an end to violence and bloodshed;
- The invitation to all people, and especially to the political authorities in Syria, to favor to the way of dialogue, of reconciliation and of the commitment to peace;
- The urgency of responding to the legitimate aspirations of the different members of the nation, as well as the wishes of the international community;
- In this context, it is important to ensure that all sectors of society, including minorities - and especially Christians - can make their contribution to the building of the country, which has been characterized by a long history of peaceful coexistence between the different components of society.
- Finally, the Holy See renews the urgent call for humanitarian assistance and relief to the victims of violence.